Monthly Archives: January 2012
The head of the United Nations agency tasked with promoting and defending the freedom of the press today condemned the murder of a journalist in Somalia and called for measures to improve the safety of media professionals in the Horn of Africa country.
Hassan Osman Abdi, 29, a journalist and director of the Shabelle Media Network, a private radio and television network, was shot dead by unidentified gunmen on Saturday at his home in the capital, Mogadishu, according to local sources cited by the UN Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO).
“The murder of Hassan Osman Abdi is a severe blow to a country where the media have paid a heavy price for exercising the human right to freedom of expression,” said Irina Bokova, UNESCO’s Director-General, in a press release.
“The death of journalists undermines the right of people to be kept informed. Somalia’s reconciliation and reconstruction will not take place without securing respect for these two rights.”
She urged the Somali authorities to take urgent measures to improve the safety of journalists and investigate the murder of Mr. Abdi, who was reportedly shot by five gunmen after arriving home from Radio Shabelle, where he worked on political issues.
Some 21 Somali journalists and other media professionals have been listed on UNESCO’s dedicated web page ‘UNESCO Remembers Assassinated Journalists,’ since 2006.
Last year, UNESCO provided equipment and training on safety, conflict-sensitive journalism and humanitarian reporting to more than 40 media professionals in Somalia. The training was intended to enhance the quality and flow of information on humanitarian issues to audiences inside Somalia and to Somali refugees in camps in neighbouring countries.
In 2010, UNESCO, in collaboration with Radio Netherlands Training Centre, provided training to 20 Somali community radio journalists, helping them to improve their ability to work in an environment of conflict.
The United Nations World Food Programme announced today that it will scale up its assistance to reach 80,000 people affected by the recent escalation of ethnic violence in South Sudan’s Jonglei state.
“The violence in Jonglei is only one of the many challenges that South Sudan is currently facing, and the world must respond to ensure that the people of this new nation have the support they need to build a peaceful and prosperous country,” said Deputy Executive Director for the World Food Programme (WFP), Ramiro Lopes da Silva, on a visit to the region.
“Many of the women I met in Pibor and Akobo had lost their children and had no one to depend on but the humanitarian agencies onMany of the women I met in Pibor and Akobo had lost their children and had no one to depend on but the humanitarian agencies on the ground. the ground.”
Deadly clashes between the Lou Nuer and Murle communities in recent weeks have displaced tens of thousands of civilians and prompted UN agencies to launch a major humanitarian operation to assist those in need.
Part of WFP’s response includes providing a 15-day emergency food ration to displaced persons who have been affected by the attacks, as well as using its logistics expertise to help other humanitarian agencies overcome challenges to establish a way for people to access their services.
According to a news release issued by the agency, WFP has already deployed three helicopters, an airplane and 28 trucks to deliver not just food but also shelter items and medical supplies to remote corners of Jonglei.
WFP stated that one of its priorities is distributing food before the rain starts in March as 90 per cent of locations targeted for assistance will become inaccessible by road. It also emphasized the need to help affected households cultivate their own crops in time for the next harvest in August.
Ten locations in Jonglei have already been reached by WFP. Five of these are located in Pibor county, including Pibor town and surrounding villages, Lekuangole, Gumruk, Labrab and Boma. Five more are located in recently affected areas in the northern parts of the state. Initial emergency food assistance has been provided in Duk Padiet, while distributions are ongoing in Akobo and Walgak, Yuai in Urur county and Waat in Nyirol county.
A man was threatened and looted on Sunday by soldiers belonging to Abu Tira (central reserve forces) in Zam Zam internally displaced persons camp, North Darfur.
A displaced resident told Radio Dabanga, Abu Tira forces threatened a man named Omar Isaac and stole his mobile phone and 400 Sudanese Pounds (SDG).
Abu Tira also threatened three young people in the camp and looted 15 SDG from them.
Camp residents told security at the camp about the incident. They were ordered to go into El Fasher to report the incident to the police.
The source said Abu Tira forces continue to walk inside and around the camp causing a great deal of instability. He demanded those responsible provide immediate protection to Zam Zam camp residents.
Article source: http://www.radiodabanga.org/node/24751