IOM needs US$ 3 million to transport stranded South Sudanese
May 11, 2012 (KHARTOUM) – The International Organization for Migration (IOM) Friday said urgently need for US $3 million to airlift South Sudanese to Juba from Khartoum.
The Governor of the White Nile state last month asked to move over 12,000 South Sudanese from the state capital Kosti spoke about security concerns over their continual presence the river port city.
Sudan closed the river port and accused Juba of confiscating 34 barges used to transport South Sudanese from the north saying Juba now use it to transport soldiers and military equipments.
IOM decided to move the stranded South Sudanese to Khartoum from where they will be transported by airplane to Juba. The fights will start on Sunday.
However, the IOM still needs US$ 3 million to carry out the whole operation. The total cost is estimated at US$ 5.5 million but the organisation has only US $ 2.5 million.
“We need to get clear donor commitments at the outset of this operation to avoid any sudden mid-way stoppage due to lack of funds,” said IOM Sudan Chief of Mission Jill Helke in a statement released on Friday.
Helke further said this operation is “complex” pointing out that any disruption will have severe consequences for the concerned people, many of whom are very vulnerable.
IOM will need to hire some 25 buses and charter up to 100 flights to move the entire Kosti caseload. It will also have to pay for medical screening and supplies, operations staff and escorts, overnight accommodation for the returnees and food.
Article source: http://www.sudantribune.com/IOM-needs-US-3-million-to,42570