Sudan to probe opposition figures detained since last December
May 12, 2012 (KHARTOUM) – Sudanese security service referred the case of two Sudanese opposition officials to the police for the first times since over four months after accusing them of waging war against the state.
Ibrahim al-Sanosi, deputy secretary general of the opposition Popular Congress Part (PCP) and another official Ali Shamar were detained since their return from Juba in December 2011 by the National Intelligence and Security Services (NISS) without charges.
Sanosi and Shamar were transferred to the police yesterday to investigate charges of undermining the regime and inciting hatred against the state after spending four and a half months, said Hassan Abdallah Al-Hussein, the party’s human rights secretary in a press conference held in Khartoum on Saturday.
The opposition official accused the NISS of circumventing the law, adding that they have to free them in accordance with the National security Act which provides to free a detainee when there is no evidence against him. He stressed that the security agents failed to prove their charges against the two opposition figures.
Sudanese official used to accuse Turabi’s party of backing the rebel Justice and Equality Movement (JEM) and coordinating with the new rebel umbrella Sudan Revolutionary Front which aims to topple the regime.
Last week one of the PCP’s figures Ali al-Haj who is based in Germany participated for the first time in a meeting organized in London by the SRF members. the meeting condemned the repression exerted against political activists and civilians after the recent attack on Heglig.
Sanosi staged last week a hunger strike to protest his illegal detention without charge or trial. He was transferred to a hospital in Khartoum.
However, Hussein told reporters that Sansoi was transferred to a police station in Khartoum North while Shamar is at a Khartoum two police station.