Daily Archives: %A %B %e%q, %Y
September 1, 2012 (KHARTOUM) — Sudan’s Army repelled a new attack by the rebel Sudan People’s Liberation Movement North (SPLM-N) in northeast South Kordofan last Thursday, the military said in a statement released on Saturday.
Al-Sawarmi Khalid, spokesperson of Sudan Armed Forces (SAF) said that SPLM-N fighters attacked a military warning station tasked with the protection of Rashad area in South Kordofan.
A SPLA-N fighter holds up his rifle near Jebel Kwo village in the rebel-held territory of the Nuba Mountains in South Kordofan, May 2, 2012. (Reuters))
He said that the army repulsed an assault by the rebels who attacked the position at 01.30 am (local time). SAF inflected losses on the rebels who fled leaving a Kalashnikov, and some ammunition, he added.
Yesterday the rebel group told Reuters they attacked a military camp in Rashad where they killed four solders and captured military equipment and ammunition on Wednesday.
Al-Sawarni in his statement did not speak about SAF’s losses but said rebels planted an anti-vehicle mine on the road at four kilometres from Rashad where it hit a civilian vehicle and injured several people on Friday.
The spokesperson went further to deny rebel statements about the death of four Sudanese solders describing it as “lies disseminated by [the SPLM-N] to raise the morale of rebel fighters and spread confusion and instability.”
The rebel group in statements to Al-Jazeera said Thursday’s attack was a reprisal to an assault government troops carried on Alhutah village where SAF is accused of burning and looting civilians’ houses there.
SAF’s spokesperson also dismissed these allegations saying the military operation was part of a failed attempt to attack on Al-Mureib area.
Sudanese government and the rebels are to meet this week in Addis Ababa to hold humanitarian and political talks in line with the resolution 2046, which demanded the two parties engage in talks on the basis of the framework agreement signed on 28 June 2011 before it was rejected by the Sudanese president.
The SPLM-N urged the international community to deliver humanitarian assistance to civilians in rebel held areas through South Sudan and Ethiopia accusing Sudan of hampering the humanitarian access.
The delay the humanitarian operation is expected to prevent any progress in the political process.
The UN Security Council on Friday urged the Sudanese government and the SPLM-N to abide by the terms of the resolution and reach a peace agreement based on the 28 June framework.
The Council also urged the two parties to ” to fully and faithfully implement its terms to expedite the unhindered delivery of this assistance as rapidly as possible.”
Article source: http://www.sudantribune.com/spip.php?article43774
Abdel Wahid Mohamed al-Nur, leader of the Sudan Liberation Movement (SLM), said in an interview with Radio Dabanga on Sunday 2 September, that nor the Doha Document nor the Abuja Agreement solved any problems in Darfur. He explained that the only way to solve Sudan’s problems is by adopting comprehensive solutions and not separate agreements, as done so far.
He added that peace in Darfur will only be achieved when the genocide and rapes stop, when pro-government militias are disarmed and when refugees and displaced persons are are individually and collectively compensated. He stressed that these issues are not found in the Doha Document nor in other peace treaties and that separate peace agreements will only provide partial solutions.
Mohamed al-Nur also exposed his view on Ibrahim Gambari’s departure from UNAMID. He said the solution to Darfur is not replacing Gambari, but changing the mission’s mandate, which he described as weak. The SLM leader added policymakers around the world agree UNAMID’s mandate needs to be changed. He affirmed Sudanese people want the protection of civilians and not the protection of peace.
Abdel Wahid Mohamed al-Nur, also announced during his interview with Radio Dabanga that arrangements to form a shadow government in Sudan have been prepared.
Mohamed al-Nur, who is also the Vice President of the Sudan Revolutionary Front’s (SRF) Political Affairs, suggested to Radio Dabanga that a shadow government is imminent in Sudan. He added arrangements for it are being made in consultation with all political forces and other instances that believe in change in the country.
The leader of SLM explained the shadow government will be tasked with taking over and running Sudan during the transitional period following Omar al-Bashir’s and the National Congress Party’s (NCP) outage. Mohamed al-Nur ensured Radio Dabanga there is a consensus among the different parties involved in the consultations regarding the regime change.
He revealed that, among other items, it was agreed that the shadow government will write a new constitution and prepare free and fair elections. In addition, al-Nur said, Sudan will have a clear separation between religion and state and everyone will have equal citizenship statuses.
During his interview, al-Nur affirmed once more he will not negotiate with the Sudanese government. He added a radical change must take place in Sudan, comprehensively changing the structure of governance and administration in the country. Mohamed al-Nur appealed to all political and civil forces in Sudan to leave behind their differences and direct their hostilities to the NCP. According to him, the NCP is to blame for ruining and dividing Sudan.
Related content: SLA and UNP sign Memorandum of Understanding in Kampala (6 August 2012)
Article source: http://www.radiodabanga.org/node/35279
According to the Sudanese Journalists Network, Sudanese security forces confiscated copies of three local newspapers preventing their publication on Sunday morning, 2 September. Witnesses affirmed security forces acted aggressively and gave no reasons for the papers’ confiscation.
Radio Dabanga was informed that the newspapers, confiscated after printing, are: Aljarida, Akher Lahza and Al-Sahafa. Sources said security forces made use of abusive security procedures to prevent the papers from being published. They added the means used by security forces did not comply with any official procedure.
The Sudanese Journalists Network affirmed this move comes from the abusive campaign against freedom of expression from the Sudanese government in the country. According to the Network the campaign against freedom of expression is spreading around the country, whereas they were previously confined mostly to Khartoum.
In addition to the three newspapers that were confiscated last Sunday, the Network also pointed out that Al-Midan newspaper was recently prevented from publishing and distributing copies for more than three months. And the Al-Tayyar newspaper, they said, is forbidden to publish and distribute copies since 11 June 2011.
The Network also announced that more than 20 Sudanese journalists are currently banned from writing.
In two separate statements, the Sudanese Journalists Network and the Journalists Network for Human Rights (JAHR) condemned the security forces for confiscating copies of the three newspapers on Sunday morning. They demanded the State to lift its campaign against freedom of expression and not to bar websites inside Sudan.
Article source: http://www.radiodabanga.org/node/35281