Daily Archives: %A %B %e%q, %Y
10 October 2012 The United Nations peacekeeping chief arrived today in Laayoune to visit the world body’s mission in Western Sahara, following which he will hold talks with both parties involved in the dispute over the territory.
The visit by Under-Secretary-General for Peacekeeping Operations Hervé Ladsous is the first by the head of UN peacekeeping to the UN Mission for the Referendum in Western Sahara (MINURSO) in 14 years.
“I am thrilled to come here to MINURSO and to discuss with colleagues the challenges the Mission faces. I look forward to meeting our military observers in the team sites who under difficult conditions are doing a noble job,” said Mr. Ladsous.
Established in 1991, the Mission is tasked with monitoring the ceasefire in Western Sahara and organizing a referendum on self-determination for the people of the territory.
The UN has been involved in efforts to find a settlement in Western Sahara since 1976, when fighting broke out between Morocco and the Frente Polisario after the Spanish colonial administration of the territory ended.
While in Laayoune, Mr. Ladsous will be reviewing operations and meeting with staff from the Mission, which is headed by the Secretary-General’s Special Representative, Wolfgang Weisbrod-Weber.
He plans to travel to two team sites, as well as to Tindouf and Rabat, where he will meet with officials from the Frente Polisario, as part of his three-day visit.
The Norwegian foreign ministry asked a Sudanese diplomat on Tuesday October 9 to leave the country immediately, the Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation (NRK) reported.
The Norwegian police security agency (PST) said a Sudanese diplomat, whose identity was not revealed, received information about Sudanese refugees from a 38-year-old Sudanese male residing in Norway.
The 38-year-old Sudanese male was arrested earlier on Wednesday from his home in the Norwegian city of Trondheim, on accusation of spying on Sudanese refugees.
The Sudanese charge d’affaires in Norway was summoned by the Norwegian foreign ministry and requested to send the accused Sudanese diplomat home, NRK reported.
‘He was told we consider such activities incompatible with a diplomat’s duties and therefore it was requested that the accused diplomat is sent home’, Kjetil Elsebutangen, spokesman of the Norwegian foreign ministry stated.
The spokesman added they do not consider the Sudanese diplomat ‘persona non grata’, however he will be expected to leave the country, NRK reported.
The Sudanese ambassador to Norway, Anwar Ahmed, denied all charges.
Sudan’s response: expulsion of Norwegian diplomat
Meanwhile, the Sudanese foreign ministry summoned the Norwegian ambassador to Sudan on Wednesday afternoon. The Norwegian ambassador was informed that the Government of Sudan requests Norway to withdraw one of its diplomats from the embassy in Khartoum.
The move is considered a response to Norway’s expulsion of the Sudanese diplomat on Tuesday.
Article source: http://www.radiodabanga.org/node/36862
Kadugli, the capital of South Kordofan, witnessed shelling with Katyusha rockets for the second consecutive day, sources told Radio Dabanga.
They recounted that the Sudanese Revolutionary Front (SRF) allegedly bombed several neighborhoods east of Kadugli, including Alban Jadeed, Almu’alemeen, Algashlag, Hai Almasane’ and Toulou secondary school on Tuesday October 9.
The witnesses pointed out that between two to four rockets were fired, but no reports of casualties so far.
They continued that MiG warplanes and helicopters remained hovering in the sky above the outskirts of Kadugli on Tuesday as well as on Wednesday morning.
The military spokesman of SPLM, Arno Ngutolo Lodi, affirmed SRF’s renewed bombing on Kadugli on Tuesday evening. He explained that the shelling was a ‘self-defense’ act, as well as a retaliation for the government’s attack on SRF planes on Tuesday and Wednesday.
He emphasized, to Radio Dabanga, they are targeting government forces and its militias. not civilians. Lodi stated they will retaliate by bombing government sites when the government bombs their positions.
The spokesman of the Sudanese army, col. Alsawarmi Khalid, denies bombing any of the rebel’s positions. Alsawarmi added he cannot confirm any report of renewed bombings in Kadugli.
Bashir cancels trip to Kadugli
Onlookers disclosed that the mortar attack on the city of Kadugli on Monday morning, killed more than a dozen people, they told Radio Dabanga. At the same time, the government stated seven were killed during the attack
The medical director of Kadugli hospital, Jouda Saleh, told Radio Dabanga that most of the injured have left the hospital in the mean time, except for three patients in critical conditions.
President Bashir canceled his visit to Kadugli, which was scheduled for Wednesday. The president was to attend the closure of the Kadugli Peace Forum and address the attendees.
General Ahmed Hamid Musa, chairman of the states’ council, was sent to deliver a speech on the President’s behalf.
Article source: http://www.radiodabanga.org/node/36863