Confusion over new Lakes state appointments
April 16, 2013 (JUBA) – The appointment of a new cabinet in Lakes state has some confusion in the troubled state after one of the appointees has the same name as well known South Sudanese journalist.
Manyang Mayom (Photo: UNMISS)
Lakes state’s caretaker Governor Maj-Gen Matur Chut Dhuol on Sunday announced the appointment of directors-general under secretaries, having previously appointed his new cabinet the previous day.
Following angry phone calls and messages on facebook, Manyang Mayom Meen a journalist from Rumbek, who works at the Public Information Office of UNMISS in Jonglei State, felt forced to clarify that he had not joined the government.
“I have received messages of both congratulations and regret based on the assumption that I am one of those newly appointed senior officials”, Meen told Sudan Tribune on Tuesday.
“I take this opportunity to advise your readers that I am not among the appointees, my full name is Manyang Mayom Meen and I continue to work for the Public Information Office of UNMISS in Jonglei State. The director-general of the Rural Development Ministry of the state government is Mr. Manyang Mayom Polic.”
Meen, who won a Human Rights Watch award in August 2010, said that he would not join the Lakes state government in its current form due to the repressive policies introduced by the governor since his appointment in January.
Under South Sudan’s constitution a new election should have been held three weeks ago – or with 60 days of the elected governor being removed by the president. Governor Dhuol has controversial arrested hundreds of young men suspected of involvement in cattle raiding related violence, holding the in military prisons without access to lawyers, human rights officials or their families.
Some citizens have described the situation as martial law, which the governor also banning alcohol, affecting the livelihoods of many women who rely on brewing alcohol to provide for their families.
The large number of Director Generals elevated to office has caused some public outcry.
Below is the full list of Director Generals and their ministries
- Enoch Manyuon Malok – Local Government
- Isaac Manyuon Madem – Agriculture
- James Makur Malual Gurke – Parliamentary Affairs
- Ustazh Kong Ngor Deng Kong – Education
- Mabor Kedit Mabor – Information
- Maper Domic – Culture, Youth and Sport
- Kuol Daniel Ayualo – Finance
- Angelo Makuac Chawuop – Physical Infrastructure
- Akec Machiec – Social development
- Manyang Mayom Golic – Rural development
- Martin Maciec Kuc – Secretary General
- Poth Domic Buoc – advisor between Lakes state and Unity state.
- Sudan Tribune journalist receives Human Rights Watch award
- Lakes state military governor announces new cabinet
- Lakes: Governor appoints 11 Director Generals, advisor
Article source: http://www.sudantribune.com/spip.php?article46247