The United Nations is prolonging the conflict in Darfur by its failure to act in bringing suspects indicted for war crimes to the International Criminal Court (ICC). The ICC prosecutor has condemned the paralysis on Darfur in the Security Council.
The chairman of the Council, the France UN Ambassador Gerard Araud, admits the inaction: “We are ready to move forward, but the council is blocked, by some countries.”
The ICC prosecutor Fatou Bensouda says that the lack of commitment in the face of increasing violence against civilians has emboldened Sudan’s president Omar Al Bashir to ignore council resolutions and left victims with no hope for justice, as Associated Press reports.
The Sudanese president, the Defence minister Abdel Rahim Mohamed Hussein and the again recently empowered militia leader Ali Kushayb have been indicted for war crimes, including genocide. Despite the arrest warrant they “have been able to travel to various countries without fear of arrest.
“This council’s silence even when notified of clear failures and/or violations by UN member states of their obligations to comply with this council’s resolutions only serves to add insult to the plight of Darfur’s victims,” she said.
“The numbers of people killed, abducted and displaced continues to grow each year,” Bensouda said. “Alleged perpetrators of serious crimes against the civilian population will continue to commit crimes unless they are brought to justice,” she said. “It is now up to this council and to the states parties to heed the cries of the millions of victims of crimes which continue unabated in Darfur.”
The UN ambassador of Sudan Daffa’alla Elhag Ali Osman criticized Bensouda’s statement, saying: “It is authoritative, as if giving instructions to the Security Council.”
File photo: ICC Prosecutor Fatou Bensouda (rnw.nl)
Related: ICC berates UN for ‘inaction and paralysis’ on Sudan’s President Bashir (12 December 2013)
Article source: https://www.radiodabanga.org/node/61585
December 11, 2013 (KAMPALA) – Eight people were killed and several others injured in a bus accident on Wednesday afternoon near Aruu junction, 20km south of the South Sudanese capital, Juba.
The bus, said to be Kenyan registered, belonged to the Lol Bus Company, Ugandan police said.
The bus was coming from Uganda, but was already in South Sudanese territory at the time of the accident.
Patrick Onyango, a spokesman for the Ugandan police, said two of the dead were Ugandans, while six were Sudanese.
“The injured were rushed to Juba teaching hospital”, Onyango told Sudan Tribune.
The police spokesman cautioned drivers against careless driving.
The number of injured could not immediately be established, but a source said about 60 passengers could have sustained injuries in the crash.
Accidents are a regular occurrence for the long distance buses that ply the route between Uganda and South Sudan.
Last month, two people died and several others were injured when a Juba-bound bus from Kampala collided with a truck at Jebilin, about 90km from Juba.
Speed was also suspected to have been a factor in Wednesday’s accident.
Article source: http://www.sudantribune.com/spip.php?article49150
December 12, 2013 (NAIROBI) – The Congolese government and the M23 rebel group on Thursday signed a peace agreement in the Kenyan capital Nairobi.
Congolese M23 rebels fighters travel on trucks in Rushuru, Democratic Republic of Congo August 3, 2013 as deadline set by UN peacekeepers for rebels in the volatile eastern Democratic Republic of Congo to lay down their weapons passed on Thursday, with the fighters facing force if they fail to disarm. Credit: Reuters/James Akena
“Today [Thursday] the Congolese government and the M23 respectively have signed declarations reflecting the consensus reached during the Kampala Dialogue on steps necessary to end the armed activities of the M23,” said a joint communiqué by the International Conference on the Great Lakes Region (ICGLR) and the South African Development Cooperation (SADC).
The statement was signed by the Ugandan president Yoweri Museveni who is also the current chair of ICGLR and Malawian president Joyce Banda and chair of SADC.
In October the M23 rebels announced it had abandoned its nearly two-year-old rebellion against the government of the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) after a resounding defeat by the Congolese army with assistance from a United Nations intervention force.
Subsequent talks in the Ugandan capital Kampala failed after the DRC government disagreed on amnesty for the rebels and their integration into the Congolese national army.
After the collapse of the talks, regional leaders asked the DRC government to give a hearing to M23’s grievances.
The Congolese government and the M23 have now agreed on the key sticking points; amnesty for the former rebels for acts of aggression and war; release of the M23 rebels detained by the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC); demobilisation of former M23 combatants, among others.
The signing of the agreement could bring peace in volatile eastern region of DRC, where thousands of people have been displaced from their homes, and to neighbouring countries like Uganda and Rwanda.
Article source: http://www.sudantribune.com/spip.php?article49160