April 9, 2013 (KHARTOUM) – An international body to follow up the ongoing efforts to settle the 10-year conflict in western Sudan reiterated that the Doha Document for Peace in Darfur (DDPD) represents a valid framework to restore stability in the region.
Qatar’s state minister of foreign affairs Al-Mahmoud chairs the Follow-up Committee with Burkina Faso’s FM Djbril Bassole at his left and the then UNMAID head Ibrahim Gambari at his right on Sunday 11 Sept 2011 (photo Albert Gonzalez Farran/UNAMID)
Sudanese government and a faction of the Justice and Equality Movement led by Mohamed Bashar (JEM-Bashar) signed a peace agreement on the basis of the DDPD on 6 April. However, three historical groups refuse to join to the document and demand holistic process including democratic change in Sudan.
The Implementation Follow-up Commission (IFC) chaired by the Qatari deputy prime minister Ahmed bin Abdullah Al Mahmoud held a meeting on Tuesday in Doha to discuss the implementation of the DDPD which is now inked by two rebel groups the Liberation and Justice Movement (LJM) and JEM-Bashar.
The meeting was briefed by UNAMID chief Mohamed Ibn Chambas on the implementation of the peace document, and “reaffirmed the international community’s support to the DDPD as the only framework for peace in Darfur”, said a statement released after the meeting.
Al Mahmoud said that the DDPD contributed to the decline of violence and improved security situation in large parts of the troubled region and condemned the recent rebel attacks which “impede peace and development efforts in Darfur”.
Western representatives during the donor conference reaffirmed their support to the DDPD but underlined the lack of progress in the implementation of justice and reconciliation chapter and the disarmament and demobilisation process.
Also Khartoum was blamed for not honouring its financial commitments.
“It is true there are some challenges and difficulties, but we think that any serious delay or major shortcomings in the implementation of the Doha Document could have a negative impact on Darfur, Sudan and the entire region”, Al-Mahmoud said.
The Qatari minister further called on the holdout rebel groups to join the peace process on the basis of the DDPD saying “We are on the right track and peace is the solution”.
The meeting was attended by IFC members from Burkina Faso, Chad, China, Egypt, France, Japan, the Russian Federation, the United Kingdom, the United States, the African Union, the League of Arab States, the European Union, and UNAMID.
JEM-Bashar also attended the meeting for the first time besides LJM and the Sudanese government.
Article source: http://www.sudantribune.com/spip.php?article46164
February 22, 2011 (KHARTOUM) — The US State Department today said alarmed by threats issued last week by a rebel group to attack the airports in the restive region of Darfur saying such actions are unacceptable and put civilians and peacekeepers at risk
The Sudan Liberation Movement led by Minni Minnawi warned in a statement released on 20 February that all the airports in the region are “strategic military targets” asking the UNAMID, international and non-governmental organizations to stop using these sites.
The rebel group said the airports are used by the Sudanese warplanes to commit atrocities against civilians and to transport ammunition and weapons to Darfur.
UNAMID chief Ibrahim Gambari yesterday slammed the statement of the rebel group saying he called Minnawi and warned him of “the grave consequences of any actions that may harm civilian populations, international personnel and operations or hamper the provision of crucial humanitarian assistance in Darfur”.
Gambari went further to say he reminded Minnawi that any attack on the peacekeepers is considered a war crime under international law.
“Attacks by any party that place innocent civilians, peacekeepers, and aid workers at risk are unacceptable and inconsistent with the spirit of working collectively toward a peaceful and more prosperous future for the people of Darfur,” said State Department spokesperson Philip J. Crowley on Tuesday.
He further stressed that Washington “discourages” such attacks and urged the warring parties in Darfur to stop hostilities and join international efforts to reach a negotiated settlement.
The Sudanese army minimized Minnawi’s statements saying his threats are meaningless. The Sudan Armed Forces spokesperson Khaled Al-Sawarmi said these threats are for media consumption. He also stressed that all the airport in Darfur are protected.
The peacekeeping operation said intensified patrols in and around Shangil Tobaya to provide protection to the civilians there. Further following several days of fighting in Wadi Mura, North Darfur, a UNAMID assessment team found that civilians abandoned some villages and fled to Tawilla and Zamzam camps.
Minnawi who was the first to sign a peace agreement in May 2006 denounced formally this month his pact with the government. The government in the past objected his participation in the Doha process to settle their differences over the implementation of the deal.
Article source: http://www.sudantribune.com/US-says-Minnawi-s-threats-to,38082
January 22, 2011 (ADDIS ABABA) – The UN-AU Peacekeeping Mission in Darfur (UNAMID) has instructed its members to respond robustly to attacks on its patrols and stand up to restrictions on its freedom of movement, the mission’s chief Ibrahim Gambari said in a meeting with the AU on Thursday.
Ibrahim Gambari, Joint Special Representative for the African Union-United Nations Hybrid Operation in Darfur (UNAMID), addresses the UN’s General Assembly 22 June 2010
UNAMID’s top brass led by the AU-UN Joint Special Representative (JSR) for Darfur, Ibrahim Gambari, met on Thursday in the Ethiopian capital Addis Ababa with the chairperson of the Chairperson of the AU Commission Jean Ping, according to an AU press release seen by Sudan Tribune.
During the meeting, UNAMID’s chief Gambari appraised the AU official on the situation in Darfur and announced that the mission had instructed its military and police units to respond to attacks in line with its mandate.
“Instructions have been issued to UNAMID military and police units that attacks on UNAMID patrols are to be responded to robustly and in accordance with the rules of engagement and the Status of Force Agreement (SOFA),” Gambari said.
UNAMID is the largest peacekeeping mission in the world. It was established under Chapter VII of the United Nations Charter with an authorized strength of 26,000 military and police personnel.
According to Gambari, the instructions are part of “significant steps” taken by the mission to increase its effectiveness on the ground. These steps also include “determined posture in the face of restrictions to freedom of movement.”
UNAMID reported on 18 January that its patrols were temporarily denied access to some areas in south Darfur by Sudan military without explanation.
The mission’s chief also told the AU that efforts are underway to attain full deployment of its authorized military and civilian staff.
“As at January 2011, the number of UNAMID civilian staff stands at 4,298, representing 78% of the Mission’s approved strength, while the strength of the military personnel stands at 17,468, representing 89% of the authorized strength and 2,745 Police Officers, representing 73% of the authorized strength. Of the authorized 19 Formed Police Units, 16 have deployed with a total strength of 2,234, representing 89% of their authorized strength,” Gambari said.
At least 300,000 were killed and more than 2 million lost their homes since a rebellion broke out in 2003 in Sudan’s western region of Darfur, according to UN estimates.
Article source: http://www.sudantribune.com/UNAMID-chief-says-mission,37728