sudan

Over 40 dead in Lakes state inter-clan clashes

April 14, 2014 (RUMBEK) – More than 40 people were killed and dozens injured after inter-clan clashes occurred in South Sudan’s Lakes state’s Rumbek East county on Friday, an official disclosed.

PNG - 20.3 kbThe map of Lakes state in red

A police officer, who preferred anonymity, said two separate clashes had occurred at Karic payam between Durbaar and Durceek clans.

“The clashes between Durbaar and Durceek left 20 people confirmed dead [from] both sides,” said the officer.

The Durceek clan, he added, lost seven people while fourteen died from Durbaar’s side.

“Four other people allegedly from Athoi clan fighting alongside Durbaar were also killed in that same incident of Karic,” the official further told Sudan Tribune.

Meanwhile, a separate clash between the Panyar and Nyuei beag clans on Saturday reportedly killed 18 people from both sides.

“Panyar-Apin clan had two people confirmed dead, Panyar-Muorchor had six people dead and Nyuei with 10 people killed,” said the officer, who expressed fears of more wounded people.

Residents have, however, attributed both incidences on the cycle of violence that has continued in the region, despite attempts by the state administration to restore calm among these communities.

A number of youth have also been arbitrarily arrested by Lakes state caretaker governor, Maj. Gen Matur Chut Dhuol since he assumed office from the democratically-elected governor 15 months ago.

Since last year, however, the governor introduced harsh measures which have made him largely unpopular among the masses.

Recently, a group of lawmakers drawn from Juba, the national parliament and Lakes state parliament made an attempt to reconcile the warring communities of Lakes state, but pastoral youths reportedly declined to honor legislators’ demands.

Several activists and members of the public have demand the immediate removal of the caretaker governor, accusing the latter of allegedly inciting the public to resume the cycle of revenge killings.

(ST)

Article source: http://www.sudantribune.com/spip.php?article50660

S. Sudan admits losing Unity state’s Bentiu to rebel forces

April 15, 2014 (JUBA) – A South Sudanese government official has officially admitted that rebel forces were “in control” of Bentiu, the strategic oil-rich capital of Unity state.

JPEG - 19.8 kbSouth Sudan’s rebel leader Riek Machar gestures as he talks to his men in Jonglei January 31, 2014 (Reuters Goran Tomasevic)

“They (rebels) are inside Bentiu now. It is under their complete control,” Unity state’s deputy governor, Stephen Mabek Lang told reporters Tuesday.

The official, in close contact with government troops on the ground, said the army pulled out after a commanding officer allegedly withdrew without notifying his forces.

“This unfortunate development discouragement reinforcement from other areas, Mabek told group of government officials who came to pick and rushed him to his accommodation. We will talk. Let me go and rest,” he said at Juba airport.

Military sources claimed fighters under the command of Maj. Gen. Puljang Mathews withdrew from Rubkona on Tuesday without their knowledge making it possible for the rebels to quickly penetrate parts of the town without facing any armed resistance.

It is still unclear whether the commanding officer remained on one part of the town fighting on the government side or withdrew together with pro-government troops.

Gordon Buay, spokesperson of the former rebel faction to which Maj. Gen Puljang belonged prior to accepting presidential amnesty and becoming part of the government-allied forces, clarified that the latter was within the area and did not defect.

“Puljang did not defect. What happened is a negligent from Bilpam because they failed to take ammunition to our forces in Bentiu,” Buay told Sudan Tribune on Tuesday.

He insistently the commanding officer was somewhere in Bentiu fighting for the government.

South Sudan’s army (SPLA) spokesperson, however, said fighting was still continuing in Bentiu, despite the rebels and some government officials confirming it’s recapture.

“The information we have from our forces on the ground is that fighting is still continuing. The rebels have attempted to penetrate the town through one part of the town but they are being pushed away,” Phillip Aguer told reporters on Tuesday.

“Our forces are still inside the town fighting,” he added, revising his earlier remarks that the SPLA repulsed a rebel attempt enter Bentiu town on Monday and controlled it.

Government forces have recaptured several rebel-held areas and border towns in recent months, closing off supply routes from neigbouring countries and securing the main artery leading west from Wau town, capital of western Bahr el Ghazal, via Mayom county to Bentiu.

(ST)

Article source: http://www.sudantribune.com/spip.php?article50662

Sudan requests information on 4 Facebook users: report

April 14, 2014 (KHARTOUM) – The social media network Facebook disclosed in its second global government transparency report, covering the period between July and December of 2013 that it received official requests from the Sudanese government to reveal information on four of its users.

The report shows regular numbers pertaining to government requests for user data.

“We respond to valid requests relating to criminal cases. Each and every request we receive is checked for legal sufficiency and we reject or require greater specificity on requests that are overly broad or vague”, reads the short report on Sudan.

The report covered several African and Arab countries including Egypt, Kuwait, Qatar, Lebanon, Palestine and Bahrain.

The report pointed that Egypt requested information on six Facebook users, while Kuwait asked for information on three users, and Lebanon demanded information on 12 users.

The report further said Bahrain made a request to receive information on one user while the Sultanate of Oman asked for information on three users. Palestine for its part demanded information on 4 users.

Qatar, according to the report, submitted requests to get information on five users while the UAE requested information on two users.

The United States submitted the largest amount of requests followed by the United Kingdom. The former put in 12,598 requests, referencing some 18,715 user accounts, while the latter put in 1906 requests, referencing 227 user accounts.

(ST)

The full report is available at https://govtrequests.facebook.com/

Article source: http://www.sudantribune.com/spip.php?article50645

Culture Day
Volunteer with us

The All-in-One Event Calendar core theme files are out of date and the calendar has been temporarily disabled. To enable the calendar, an administrator must log into the WordPress dashboard and follow the instructions.

Log In
News Archives
April 2014
M T W T F S S
« Mar    
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
282930  
News Archives
True Story!
True Story!
Out of Egypt
Out of Egypt
יציאת מצרים
יציאת מצרים

kab.co.il


 Donate Now $ 50

Team Dashboard