ReliefWeb

World: CERF Quarterly Update – January

Q1 2014 SUMMARY

In the first quarter of 2014, CERF was crucial in supporting coordinated humanitarian action in most urgent crises worldwide. At the start of the quarter, three system–wide level 3 (L-3) emergencies were in effect: in the Central African Republic (CAR), the Philippines and Syria. In February, another L-3 was declared in South Sudan where conflict has displaced over one million people and left 5 million in need of humanitarian assistance.

In response to these and other crises, the Emergency Relief Coordinator (ERC) allocated US$100.7 million from CERF in the first quarter of 2014. Although the demands for humanitarian action and how it should be delivered varied significantly in each situation, CERF played a key role in ensuring appropriate and timely funding for life–saving relief for millions of people.

Almost $58.1 million was allocated to help humanitarian partners kick-start critical relief work in 10 countries. Of the $95.5 million that was set aside to sustain emergency aid operations in 11 underfunded crisis, $42.6 million was allocated in the 1st quarter.

The ERC’s capacity to respond to these crises with timely and substantial allocations was made possible by the early fulfilment of donor pledges. By the close of the first quarter of 2014, the donor community had contributed $220.7 million to CERF for 2014. That is over 50 per cent of total pledges and one of the largest amounts contributed since the launch of CERF in 2006.

Article source: http://reliefweb.int/report/world/cerf-quarterly-update-january-march-2014

Sudan: Dozens still detained in Sudan despite promise of amnesty

KHARTOUM (16 Apr.) – (UPDATED 16 Apr.) – At least 43 political detainees are still in prison in Sudan, despite promises by President Omar Al Bashir to facilitate a National Dialogue by releasing them.

The detainees include dozens of students, arrested during protest action against the rise of fuel and food prices in September 2013.

The Chairman of the Solidarity Committee of the Prisoners, Sadiq Yousif, called on the Khartoum government for their immediate release or a fair trial. He described the health situation of some of the prisoners as very serious or even critical.

“Some are in urgent need of artificial limbs, or the extraction of lead bullets from their bodies,” he told Radio Dabanga. Yousif also condemned the detention of University professor Dr Siddiq Nourain together with Abas Bashir Adam, a student at the Islamic University. Both have been detained since last November.

Mohamed Adam Juma, a student of the University of the Koran, and Salahidin Abdulah Haroon of Ahlia University, have been in detention since December.

In several other cities in Sudan, including Nyala and Port Sudan, students are still being detained at locations unknown to their families. “At least ten demonstrators have been in Dar es Salaam prison in Omdurman since last September. Others were already released on bail, including 13 minors.” The chairman warned especially for the continuing trials of protesters detained in Khujalab in Bahri. At least 30 of them are still in prison.

He reminded the government of the right of demonstration. He urged that they release those who were arrested last week in Omdurman after they protested the shortage of water. His committee wants the government to cancel all laws restricting the freedom of demonstration. He mentioned especially that the Security Act should be reviewed.

Bahri Court

On Tuesday, Bahri Court heard two witnesses brought by the prosecutor against the 30 detainees from the Khojalab protest September last year. Amal Hussein, one of the defence lawyers, said after the Court heard the witnesses, the case was adjourned until the next Court session. “After that the prosecutor will rest his case and the Judge will decide whether he has found sufficient evidence to continue with the trial. Otherwise he will hear the detainees.”

“The Defence is expecting that the court will release the Khojalab detainees immediately as the prosecutors have failed to provide such evidence,” their lawyer told radio Dabanga.

El Obeid

On Tuesday, the Military Court in El Obeid released a student, Said Mohamed El Awad, one of ten arrested during the invasion by SRF rebels in Abu Karshola in North Kordofan, in November 2013.

Like the other nine people charged, the economics student of the University of Khartoum was charged for breaching the constitution, a charge that could carry the death sentence.

Lawyer Osman Hassan Saleh told Radio Dabanga that the court released him immediately, while the others are awaiting a verdict later this week. The civilians are all from the Nuba Mountains and Darfur. It was one of the first cases in which civilians started to be tried for a military court. The civilians are accused of sympathising with the rebel SRF. The names of the nine still under arrest are: Mubarak Ishaq, Assadiq Badredin Ahmed, Amar Adam Abab, Ibrahim Eissa, Muhojadin Ibrahim, Juma Badawi Juma, Hashim Suleiman, Faroukh Kagu and Ibrahim Mohamed.

Article source: http://reliefweb.int/report/sudan/dozens-still-detained-sudan-despite-promise-amnesty

Sudan: Five children die, many wounded in East Jebel Marra ‘offensive’

EAST JEBEL MARRA (15 Apr.) – At least five children have died and many other people injured during a large-scale attack, allegedly by government-backed Rapid Support Services (RSF) militiamen, on East Jebel Marra on Tuesday.

Witnesses fleeing the attack told Radio Dabanga that about 600 militiamen driving vehicles including Land Cruisers launched a large-scale offensive on the villages of Hashaba ,Kutto , Krafula , Kuijr, Tumu , Kadarik , Umm Triter, Abu, Umm Driseiya, Sharafa, and Dali.

Ezzedine Harun Yahiya (6 months), takiya Bharalden Fahlka (2), Aisha Mukhtar Mohammed (1), Jibril Ahmed Saleh (4), the child Jaqoob Adam (3) are known to have died in the attack. Many others have been wounded.

“The attackers abducted several women and girls, as well as extensively looting money and property from individuals and businesses. The exact number of casualties has not yet been ascertained, as citizens fled in all directions to take cover in the surrounding valleys and mountains.”

Fleeing listeners also said that the RSF has occupied all of the water sources in East Jebel Marra, and have blocked the main roads linking the area’s major towns. “All main roads linking East Jebel Marra to El Fasher, Nyala, Shangil Tobaya, and Tawila are blocked,” said callers, who fear starvation and thirst.

They appealed to the Unamid, the UN and the Security Council to intervene urgently “to save us from certain death that looms on all sides of East Jebel Marra.

Article source: http://reliefweb.int/report/sudan/five-children-die-many-wounded-east-jebel-marra-offensive

Culture Day
Volunteer with us

The All-in-One Event Calendar core theme files are out of date and the calendar has been temporarily disabled. To enable the calendar, an administrator must log into the WordPress dashboard and follow the instructions.

Log In
News Archives
April 2014
M T W T F S S
« Mar    
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
282930  
News Archives
True Story!
True Story!
Out of Egypt
Out of Egypt
יציאת מצרים
יציאת מצרים

kab.co.il


 Donate Now $ 50

Team Dashboard