May 24, 2013 (KHARTOUM) – Sudan’s opposition Popular Congress Party (PCP) has condemned the attacks on civilians carried out by the rebel Sudan Revolutionary Forces (SRF) on Abu- Kershola in South Kordofan state.
PCP deputy Secretary General Ibrahim Al-Sanousi (file photo Al-Jazeera)
SRF rebels extended last month their attacks to Um Rawaba in North Kordofan state before to redeploys its fighters to Abu-Kershola in South Kordofan on the border with North-Kordofan state.
In wake of the attack, the PCP of the Islamist leader Hassan Al-Turabi, refused to condemn the SRF and instead blamed the government for the events.
“We don’t condemn the SRF because war was imposed upon them by the government”, the party’s political officer Kamal Omer at the time said. Adding that rebel attacks are a natural consequence for the government policies .
But PCP’s deputy secretary general, Ibrahim Al-Sanousi who was in jail for long-time because he had met with rebels in Juba last year, told Ashorooq T.V. yesterday that his party doesn’t accept recurrence of similar attacks in the future.
Leading a PCP delegation to visit the displaced people from Abu-Kershola in the town of Al-Rahad in North Kordofan state, Al-Sanousi expressed regret for what they have suffered as a result of the attack, and distributed food aid provided by his party.
He added that his visit was intended to check on the humanitarian situation of the displaced people, declaring that his party seeks to coordinate and cooperate with government bodies as well as voluntary aid groups to provide assistance to the affected areas.
The Sudanese government had previously accused the SRF of killing 45 people following its attack on Abu-Kershola on April 27, saying that the rebels had physically eliminated them with “cold blood”.
Article source: http://www.sudantribune.com/spip.php?article46691
May 23, 2013 (KHARTOUM) – Fighting in Sudan’s western Darfur region has resulted into the displacement of 300,000 people in the last five months of this year, the United Nations estimates.
Valerie Amos speaks at a press conference during her recent visit to Sudan (UN photo)
This number “is more than the total number of people displaced in the last two years put together” said Valerie Amos, the UN Under-Secretary General for Humanitarian Affairs in a press conference held in Khartoum on Thursday.
Amos who visited Zamzam camp for the internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) near the North Darfur capital said she was sorry to realise that people are still suffer from a lack of adequate basic services since ten years ago when the conflict started.
“I was particularly shocked when we visited some of the new arrivals in ZamZam camp. I saw people who had recently fled fighting in South Darfur sheltering under small pieces of tarpaulin in the hot desert sun, in desperate conditions”, she further stressed.
Amos, who also doubles as the agency’s Emergency Relief Coordinator, was on a three-day visit to Sudan to assess the humanitarian operations in the North African country.
The top UN official, during her visit, also met the Sudanese president, Omer Al-Bashir and other senior government officials in Khartoum and Darfur, as well as partners from UN member states, non-governmental organisations and other UN agencies.
“In all my meetings I have stressed the desire of the international community to assist in meeting the needs of war-affected people in Sudan,” Valerie said.
Sudan faces lots of humanitarian challenges worsened by the ongoing fighting in Darfur, unresolved conflicts in South Kordofan and Blue Nile and recent rebel attacks that have spread recently to North Kordofan.
The situation, the UN Humanitarian Coordinator said, has resulted into a “massive” displacement crisis, and high levels of malnutrition in many parts of the country, including Eastern Sudan, where some of the highest malnutrition rates have been recorded.
She also expressed concerns about the decreasing funding levels for humanitarian assistance in Sudan, citing the ongoing conflicts, competing needs in other countries, and a difficult global economic environment.
“We have a serious funding crisis in Sudan. We need to attract more funds from our traditional donors, but we also need to expand our partnerships and attract funding from other Governments in the region and elsewhere,” Valerie said.
Amos also accused rebel movements of being responsible for the crimes committed on civilians in following their recent attacks in North and South Kordofan states.
“I was shocked to hear detailed reports of the recent attacks on civilians and civilian infrastructure by the Sudan Revolutionary Front in Northern Kordofan and parts of South Kordofan. I condemn these attacks on civilians in the strongest terms,” she said.
Meanwhile, the senior UN official welcomed the Darfur donors’ conference, which she described as a more sustainable ways of supporting about 1.4 million displaced people who have no other option, but to remain in the camps.
Up to US$ 3.6 billion in pledges for Darfur, including a commitment of US$ 2.6 billion from the Government of Sudan, was raised at the conference held in Qatar last April.
Article source: http://www.sudantribune.com/spip.php?article46679
23 May 2013 Civilians in Sudan are paying the biggest price in the war between the Government and rebels, the United Nations humanitarian chief reiterated today as she wrapped up a visit to the country urging more sustainable support for displaced populations, many of whom have been living in camps for a decade.
“Whether it is Darfur, South Kordofan or Blue Nile, what is needed above all else is for the fighting to stop and for the conflicts to be resolved by peaceful means,” Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs Valerie Amos told journalists in Khartoum.
Expanding on the goals of her visit, Ms. Amos said she wanted a first-hand look at humanitarian operations in the country, and “second – given the sometimes difficult relations between the Government of Sudan and the United Nations on humanitarian issues – to work to build trust and confidence so that we are in a stronger position to help meet the humanitarian needs of people in Sudan.”
During the four-day visit, Ms. Amos saw up-close the humanitarian situation in Darfur which received an influx of some 300,000 people so far this year, according to UN estimates, a figure higher the total number of people displaced in the last two years together.
The situation is “extremely worrying,” Ms. Amos said, adding “it is clear that humanitarian aid agencies are struggling to cope” to assist the 1.4 million people still living in camps without adequate access to basic health-care, education and other services.
She also said she was “shocked” to see new arrivals to the camps sheltering under small pieces of tarpaulin in the hot desert sun.
“We cannot let Darfur slip off the radar screen of the international community,” she stressed.
While in Zam Zam camp outside El Fasher, Ms. Amos said she had spoken with a woman who said “she feels like a bird in a cage” and highlighted the hundreds of thousands of children born in the internally displaced persons (IDP) camps.
They “have never known life outside these camps. We cannot forget these children. They are the future of Darfur and of Sudan,” Ms. Amos urged.
Despite efforts, the camps lack adequate basic services, the UN official noted, including schools and necessary education materials for children.
“After ten years of major humanitarian operations in Darfur, we need to find more sustainable ways of supporting displaced people who have no other option but to remain in the camps. We need to build stronger bridges between humanitarian and development work,” Ms. Amos stressed.
In April, the Darfur Donors Conference in Doha raised $3.6 billion in pledges for Darfur, including a commitment of $2.6 billion from the Government of Sudan.
In her statement, Ms. Amos welcomed the commitments but stressed that Sudan has a “serious funding crisis.” An estimated $7.2 billion is needed for a UN-backed six-year effort to move Darfur away from food handouts and other emergency aid, laying the foundation for lasting development through improved infrastructure.
Ahead of a planned polio vaccination campaign, Ms. Amos reminded the Government and the Sudan Peoples Liberation Movement-North (SPLM-North) that the UN has called on both sides to agree to a halt in fighting for one week to allow health officials and volunteers to inoculate the estimated 150,000 children under five years of age.
The Government and SPLM-North began direct talks last month under the auspices of the African Union High-Level Implementation Panel in Addis Ababa.
“I hope the talks will resume soon and that they will lead to a resolution of the conflict so that people can return to their homes and start to rebuild their lives,” Ms. Amos said.
The insecurity and movement restrictions imposed by the Government cut off South Kordofan and Blue Nile states until earlier this month, when the UN World Food Programme (WFP) said it was finally able to provide the first food rations in nearly two years to families there.
Ms. Amos added that while there was some improved access to the region, she was worried about the safety and well-being of civilians in the war-affected areas that are not under Government control.
During her visit, Ms. Amos said she had some “very constructive and informative meetings” with President Omar Al-Bashir, other senior Government officials in Khartoum and Darfur, as well as with UN Member States, UN agencies, NGOs and other humanitarian partners.
Article source: http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=44978&Cr=sudan&Cr1=