George Athor attacked Fangak again? (Not true..OLD NEWS)
Why is this news? I have no idea. Please removed this old news.
That’s the same article written a few weeks ago.!! Correct this mistake or you’ll lose your credibility
Now, If you want to feed your readers with latest news…well post an article from South Sudannation website about the corruption that have been going on the police force under the ministry of Internal Affairs. Gier Chuang should resigned or sacked if he doesn’t.
HERE is the ARTICLE
South Sudan police academy mired in abuse scandal: Minister Gier should be fired now!
BY: MAGGIE FICK, Associated Press, Juba,
FEB. 24/2011, SSN; JUBA, Sudan – U.N. investigators say police recruits were beaten to death, sexually assaulted and forced to stand for hours in the blazing sun as part of a training program funded by international donors, demonstrating the challenges ahead for what will soon be the world’s newest nation.
Some of the 6,000 recruits who took part in a yearlong program to train new officers to promote stability in the war-torn region say they were raped and were beaten with sticks. U.N. investigators found that at least two trainees died from injuries.
The academy had received more than $1 million from the U.N. Development Program with promises of more aid. Now, international donors have suspended their support to the Rajaf police academy pending further investigation. Plans for the next class of recruits are on hold.
“Our rights as recruits were not respected,” one man in his mid-20s told The Associated Press. He detailed how he and his fellow recruits were beaten with sticks, kicked, “made to roll on the ground” and forced to crawl on their hands and knees as punishment.
The recruit decided to sign up for the police training after living as a refugee in neighboring Uganda and finding others jobs hard to come by in the desperately poor Southern Sudanese capital city of Juba. Instead of opportunity, he says he found despair.
“It made me lose my hope completely. I had no idea I would enter such a life, otherwise I would not have joined,” he said, speaking on condition of anonymity for fear of retribution.
Southern Sudan voted overwhelmingly last month to secede from the north. The independence referendum was part of a 2005 peace deal that ended a two-decade war that had left 2 million people dead.
Southern Sudan is still awash in weapons, many of them in the hands of civilians and poorly trained, ill-disciplined security forces. Police are badly needed to improve security and promote stability as the region moves toward becoming the Republic of South Sudan in July.
The academy was designed to create a “new guard” of police officers who had not experienced the brutal combat endured by tens of thousands of Southern Sudanese guerrilla fighters during the civil war. Instead, recruits at the facility described being deeply traumatized by some of these former guerrilla fighters, who are now serving as “commandos” in the southern army.
The human rights unit of the U.N. peacekeeping mission in Sudan investigated in December and January and said “many recruits died during the course of the year.” About 700 recruits did not finish the program. Human rights groups have been unable to independently confirm how many deaths occurred.
“Evidence is sufficient enough to conclude that a pattern of human rights violations ranging from extrajudicial killings, rape, and attempted rape, to inhumane, cruel and degrading treatment,” said a letter sent by the U.N. human rights unit to the inspector general of the Southern Sudan Police Service in January.
At least 400 women were in the academy when the class started in January 2010, although it is unclear how many females graduated the following December.
“Female recruits were compelled without their consent on diverse occasions to have sexual intercourse with some of the trainers at the training center,” it said. The letter argued that “high-ranking officers knew or ought to have known” of such violations.
The southern government’s Minister of Internal Affairs Gier Chuang Aluong refused repeated interview requests, referring the AP to a list of steps taken to address the allegations. Those included his ministry’s proposal that southern president Salva Kiir appoint a commission to investigate the alleged abuses. No commission has yet been set up to do so.
Joe Feeney, the head of office for UNDP in Southern Sudan, said international officials are “deeply concerned by the allegations put forward.”
At a cafe in Juba, the young disillusioned recruit now faces deployment to a new post. He signed up for the police training in hopes it would provide a decent salary in a place where few are found.
He’s still waiting to start earning $3 a day, but says dejectedly: “I’m not really interested anymore.”
Article source: http://www.sudantribune.com/Jonglei-One-person-killed-in,38096
By Philip Thon Aleu
February 11, 2011 (KAMPALA) – The second most powerful man in the soon-to-be independent state of South Sudan, Vice-President Riek Machar, is opposed to open-ended terms in power, he has told a Ugandan newspaper.
Southern Sudanese regional vice president Riek Machar (Getty Images)
“Overstaying in power beyond two terms prevents new ideas,” Riek Machar said in an exclusive interview on Tuesday with New Vision, one of Uganda’s leading dailies.
Machar said that setting a maximum of two terms in office would “improve governance and democratic systems.”
South Sudan voted overwhelming for secession from North Sudan in a referendum stipulated under the 2005 peace deal that ended nearly half a century of intermittent civil war between the two sides.
The most recent North-South war, which killed over two million people, broke out in Bor town, Jonglei state, on May 16, 1983, under the leadership of the Sudan People’s Liberation Movement (SPLM), then led by its late leader John Garang.
The SPLM have pledged to organize elections and form a broad-based government after the south is officially independent on July 2011 in order to assuage concerns of possible political instability in the region.
South Sudan has a taskforce currently reviewing its interim constitution in order enact necessary legislation, including length of interim period and presidential term limits.
South Sudan underwent general elections in April last year re-electing incumbent, President Salva Kiir, by a large margin ahead of his main competitor, Lam Akol, the leader of a splinter party; the SPLM-Democratic Change.
Article source: http://www.sudantribune.com/South-Sudan-s-VP-supports-term,37965
February 10, 2011 (KHARTOUM) – Sudanese foreign ministry called ambassadors from Southern Sudan appointed after 2005 peace deal without prior arrangements with the SPLM, said officials from the South Sudan ruling party.
The Comprehensive Peace Agreement (CPA) allows the two parties to proportionally share wealth and power during the six years of interim period, giving the SPLM 28% of the national ministerial positions and 20% civil servant positions.
Prior to the announcement of the referendum results which came out in favour of independence of South Sudan last Monday, the Sudanese Foreign Affairs Ministry sent out a circular recalling all South Sudanese ambassadors and diplomats, in different countries of the world to report to the Ministry headquarters effective 1 April 2011, without consulting the leadership of the SPLM.
In 2007 and 2008, the two parties formed a high executive committee with equal representation to look into complaints raised by the SPLM and to approve identification and assignment of southern Sudanese officials into ambassadorial and senior civil servant as well as diplomatic positions. All were to remain their positions until at the end of the interim which would determine the future of the country.
Speaking to Sudan Tribune on Tuesday night from Netherlands, Martin Kur, a diplomat at the Sudanese embassy said all southern Sudanese ambassadors and diplomats serving in the Sudanese embassies abroad received a circular instructing them to report to the headquarters in Khartoum on 1 April.
Sudan’s former foreign minister, now GOSS minister of regional cooperation in Deng Alor denied knowledge of such arrangements, saying “we were not consulted”. He further said he would seek clarification from the minister of foreign affairs.
Grace Datiro, a state minister at the ministry of foreign affairs also said she was not aware of the circular.
Another Sudanese ambassador from the south confirmed receipt of the document, “Yes, we have received the circulation issued by Mr. Mohammad Salah Al-Din Abass on behalf of the Undersecretary dated 6 February, 2011. Abass is a Director General in the ministry of foreign Affairs”, said the official who preferred anonymity.
Other ambassadors and diplomats from different parts of the world and originally from the South of Sudan contacted by Sudan Tribune unanimously confirmed receipt of an official document numbered MFA/1/50 and dated 6.2.2011.
It is claimed that the circular is entitled “recall of all south Sudanese Ambassadors and Diplomats serving in the Sudanese Embassies abroad”, asking them to report to the headquarters of the ministry of foreign affairs in Khartoum, on April 1st April, 2011 and to remain there until June 30, 2011.
Different officials from the NCP officials stated that the participation of the SPLM officials in the national institutions would terminate immediately after the final announcement of the referendum results.
However the Sudanese presidency agreed later that the participation of Southerners in the national government and other organs will continue to the end of the interim period on 9 July 2011.